Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Response>>Web & The Job Hunt

So, I'm feeling talkative this morning and I'm going to post 2 responses. Aren't you lucky to here an extra insight of mine?

This morning my design group had our critique for the countryhome.com project we have been working on. In all honesty, it got picked apart. Really picked apart. As it should have been, however. The 3 designers, although working off of a style guide, built 2 department pages each. They all ended up being very different. I think the biggest problem, though, was that since we didn't write the content it was hard to have any direction with how the story or department should look. I think we all realized how crucial it is for the publishers and designers to work together. They all had visions for their content, which made great sense, but weren't executed by us, or if they were they were misunderstood. I've learned through this experience that email and written instructions don't really cut it when it comes to trying to build something visually. A lesson learned that a team is a team and while it can be a pain to sit down and walk through your design with someone the bottom line is on a company project in the real world building essentially other people's vision (the creative director and publishers/editorial) takes teamwork!

Oh the real world.

Which brings me to my next response. I have finally jumped on the band wagon and started seriously looking for jobs. I am applying for my first one this week. I forgot what a task it is to redo resumes, write cover letters, get references, etc. I've also learned that I may be over obsessing about it all. I cannot decide what clips to use. If my resume should have activities or not. Blah blah blah. But, I think with a deep breath I've decided that while the details certainly need to be in place I need to let my design work speak for itself and have a little big more confidence. I also need to quit obsessing over one job and start getting myself out there to open doors. So, what a better way to get myself out there then post my resume on my blog! Here is the most basic version. Feel free to share it with anyone and everyone you know! (And give me feed back since even though I say I'm trying not to I'm still obsessing over if its "right")



download the PDF here
http://bengal.missouri.edu/jlafyb/images/Resume.pdf

and here's just an image, too

No comments:

Post a Comment