Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Response>>Art Director Help

For a class assignment we were to get in touch with someone in the industry, ideally in a position we are interested in. I spoke with an art director at a city/regional magazine. Her information was certainly helpful.

My biggest concern was what to do upon graduation in a time when getting a job is so hard to do. Her biggest piece of advice was to make your self extremely versatile. Know how to design, but also know how to do everything else. Photograph, do multimedia, style shoots, etc. And have a diversified portfolio that shows you can do it all.

My discussion with her gave me a little kick to get started on things like t-shirt design. It will diversify my portfolio. From interning at inside columbia magazine, i know that have various events they create bags and t-shirts for, etc. I think it will be just one more thing to set me apart from other applicants. It also encouraged me to go back to something that I really love and FIND time to do it because now I certainly have a reason, photography. Hopefully despite the business of the next few weeks I will be able to get out and shoot. Photographs to be coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment