Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Response >> I'm an Idiot

So, I probably shouldn't publicize on my blog that my resume had errors on it, (the correct, PERFECT version has replaced the one posted a few weeks ago)but I do think its SUPER important to emphasize what Jen Rowe and Andrea Hinnant have been telling us. These mistakes are crucial. If I don't get the job, I will be kicking myself repeatedly that this may be what cost me the position. Before turning in my Mizzou portfolio this afternoon, I treated my resume like an editing assignment. Going letter by letter, word by word to make sure NOTHING was wrong with it. I'm trying not to harp on it too much, lesson learned. I need to slow down and pay attention to detail.

Luckily, though, I did atleast get a phone interview. To give each of us a little encouragement, I was told that even though I didn't have as many years of experience as any of the other applicants, she thought my work was fantastic. I gave myself a little pat on the back when she said that. Regardless of whether I get the job, I can be proud that on the very first portfolio/resume I sent out, the ONLY reason I got a phone interview (reminder-spelling mistakes on the resume) was because of my design work. Perhaps these past few, grueling months, are worth it after all! :)

1 comment:

  1. Don't beat yourself up too much. We all make mistakes and we are all just learning how to handle this whole big grown up world thing. At least the woman told you before you started sending them to more employers! ah! And at least now you made the mistake early in the game and you can keep heading on knowing your resume is mistake free now!

    ReplyDelete