Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Week Five

Ahh, week five already. 

CRITIQUE:

This week at Vox I designed my department page which will be published tomorrow. It was really frustrating actually, because my main image wasn't a normal picture but a clipping mask. I was also trying so hard to fit all of the text, too, which was impossible, but I tried! Also I came up with a little illustration for a piece about a home and garden expo being held at the Hearnes Center in Columbia, Mo which was focusing on how to make your house green when renovating. The idea behind this is the house is the flower pot, and it is so green in grew a flower. Haha, a bit cute/corny, but I think it represents what the expo is about very well. 

Also this past week I presented my cover ideas for the "Best Time to Do Things Issue," for Vox. I mainly stuck with the sticky note idea and also did something with an hourglass which I really thought was cool, but it didn't go as well with the story as the sticky note design. Anyway, the first design was chosen to be the cover. I am reworking it currently to adjust it and work on making the main cover line dominant. 


This week I also worked on a cover for the publication Global Journalist. It's a magazine produced by students at Mizzou but written by journalists all over the world. It focuses on democracy and journalism. The publication tends to be more traditional when it comes to design, so the first cover I developed was what a typical Global Journalist cover looks like. Then, I had a little fun. The third cover is actually the one I like the most. The idea behind it is that this man in the photo (Ben Ali-president of Tunisia) has been president for decades. While he has brought the country economic success, freedom of speech is not allowed nor are journalists allowed any freedom to tell the truth and not speak highly of the country and its president. So, the piece was about getting that deeper look at this leader so I thought the illustration conveyed that well...He is blurry, but through the lens, who he is becomes very clear. Let me know if it makes sense to you all, since you have not read the story.

 

And finally, early this week I presented my ideas for a new website for the magazine CountryHome. I really struggled with this on how to incorporate what was visually appealing and what was technologically feasible as well as how to better organize the site. I was proud of my finished project even though it wasn't chosen. It was a bit of learning experience and I know it will continue to be that way as we make a working website with my colleague Kristin's design. The first page is the home page, the second is a department page, and the third is how a feature would look. 


WHAT'S NEXT:
My spring fashion photo shoot got pushed back until next Wednesday, hooray!, so I will be working on that for the rest of the week and weekend. I will also be making the adjustments to my sticky note cover that was chosen, working on my personal website and portfolio, and getting started on the web project with Meredith. 

3 comments:

  1. I really like your post-it cover. Congrats on getting selected. I am interested to see how it progresses. I also enjoyed your country home designs. My only comment is that I think the fonts are overly scripty and might affect legibility. Just a thought...great job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jena, you had some great stuff this week. I can see your personality and design style coming through all your work. The "Best Time" cover is going to be a great opportunity for you to shine. Your CountryHome.com proposals were very nice. I liked the script in the logo, but not everywhere else. The color palette was pretty, as well as the pictures you chose, but I don't know if they say "country." Looking forward to finalizing your cover with you Saturday. Love, Meredith (the TA, not the project.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jena, I thought your Country Home designs were beautiful! I am really looking forward to working with you this semester on this project especially because I think you have a much better eye for photographs than I do. Great job this week. You have a lot to show for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete