Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Response>>History Presentations

I'll be posting my presentation about the look and design of Esquire in the 1960's after a little tweaking. But, I wanted to respond to some of the presentations in class.

I think it was a really interesting assignment. Looking back at old magazines is a little inspiring, seeing how far we have come. I think our ability to think simply amongst all of the technology we have and all of our font options, etc., is really important. Some of the older versions of Esquire used new fonts just because they were new, not because they were content driven. I tend to go crazy with fonts, or use them as a quick fix. It's a reminder that font is not everything in design.

But, it's also inspiring because they did some really cool things graphically back in the day, that took so much time. It makes me want to do something vintage feeling for a design and maybe even draw an illustration myself (gasp!) I think practicing my artistic skills is important--it may come in handy one day, who knows.

Finally, I think this assignment really gave us a feel for the identity of the magazines that we studied and how important it is to stay true to it. I think Esquire has stuck with their edgy, pushing the envelope essence. However, I think it would be great to see more covers like those of George Lois...not just slapping a celeb on the cover, but having a content drive reason behind it.


No comments:

Post a Comment