Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Response>>The movie Helvetica

Honestly, that movie really through me for a loop. Even as a graphic designer you never really think of the time and thought that goes into font. It's so easy for us to go to a website and find a font to fit our need or style. 

I also had never thought about the way one simple font, Helvetica, could say so many things. A typographer in the movie said something along the lines of helvetica simply says everything. It's a universal font that isn't specific to looking Christmasey or Fallish. It made me think question are use of so many fonts. Are fancy fonts an easy fix for a lazy designer?

I don't think I've taken my position on either side of the fence just yet. Some types just give a piece personality. They say something in themselves. So, I guess the big question is does "I hate you," in helvetica have the same meaning as some angry, bold font? Well in a literal sense of course. But in the magazine world, what is going to get a reader to read that word or sentence? What's going to draw them in and give them a visual representation or aid to what they are reading? 

I'm not quite sure that Helvetica is the be-all end-all of the font world. But, I'm going to explore it much more in my design.

No comments:

Post a Comment