Monday, March 2, 2009

Week Six

The weeks are seriously flying by....I'm starting to become a nostalgic senior who doesn't want this to race by as fast as I originally thought...

CRITIQUE: This week at Vox I finished up my cover for the March 5th issue called "The Best Time to Do Stuff." I really like how it turned out. It's an improvement from my original idea, much more sophisticated and polished looking.  The biggest thing I learned from working on this cover is what a team effort it becomes in the production stage. I initially designed it but then the Creative Director of Vox (and our TA, Meredith) really helped me out. She also worked closely with Taryn the Art Director of Vox to put on the finishing touches. It was just a reminder for me of how important it is to always have others input in your work because nine times out of ten it seems it will always come out better in the end with a little help from your peers. I will post the final version after Thursday when it is published! Stay tuned. 


With that said, I also just want to say thank you to my colleagues for the portfolio critiques. They were really helpful. I have a better idea of what I need to work on, what I need to add, etc. 

Continuing...

I also worked on my department page at Vox two Sunday's ago which was published in last Thursday's issue.

I like it for the most part, as I mentioned in previous posts I became super frustrated with trying to fit the text as best I could. I really wish the "Altered Realities" photo could have ran bigger, its a great piece of artwork. My next department page is going to be about album cover art. We were asked today at our Vox staff meeting to start going a "step above" in our department pages so I am trying to think of something cool....hmmmmm....

Sorry you aren't seeing an image of my breathtaking department page.... the file size is to big .. hmm..any help from you techies out there?


And finally...

Here is the "most final" Global Journalist cover. It is definitely more typical of their cover look..which is OK. I really looked for a different photo because they ran a cover not too many issues ago with the same man selling a newspaper photo. I also don't think the photo is very eye catching. But, the consensus seemed to be that it was the photo that best represented the story, oh, content driven design. It also gave me some practice in clipping masks. I had to clip the man and place him on top of the original image in order to be able to put him in front of the Global Journalist flag. Overall, I think it is okay. I really wanted to play with the sell lines but then remembered that this publication doesn't get bought on the newsstand, its simply sent out to subscribers/readers all over the world... but, I still think I may encourage them to do something a little more interesting with the headlines in the future because sometimes readers need a little encouragement to tackle an editorially heavy publication and attention grabbing sell lines may just pull them in!


WHAT'S NEXT:

This Wednesday I will be working on a photo shoot for the magazine I intern at, Inside Columbia. It is our spring fashion spread. I am happy with all of the looks I came up with and am excited for the shoot. Although I don't get to design much for the magazine outside of little department pages, I am going to ask for all of the photos from this shoot, choose the photos and create my own spread for my clip book...just to show that I can do it! :)

I am also going to try to work on my website this week.. as well as the logos for our 20/10 assignment. 20/10 is an assignment where we come up with 20 logos for a Mizzou wellness programs (our two choices are programs called Eat for Life and Show Me Dharma) and execute 10.. all by next Tuesday to help us learn how to think creatively, quickly.

See you next week!


2 comments:

  1. The VOX and Global Journalist covers look great. I overheard you talking about having some issues with the GJ one, but it turned out great. Also, I hate that you had to PAY for the post its on the VOX cover, but it's a great clip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the Vox cover. It is fun and fit the nice day outside today. I have to say I actually really like the writing on the post its. I think it did nice things for the cover.

    ReplyDelete